Kevin Dedmon Ministries

Drunk People Do Crazy Things!

crazyThings

It is true, drunk people do crazy things. They will say the craziest things to anyone who will listen (even if they won’t listen). They will laugh out loud, oftentimes for no apparent reason, and without any sensitivity to their surroundings whatsoever. They will dance, fall on the ground, sway as they walk, and completely sacrifice their personal dignity. Why? Because they are drunk.

They are not concerned with what people think about them at the moment. They have lost all fear of man, not concerning themselves in the least with the aftermath of humiliation that is sure to follow their actions. They therefore express themselves freely. They will even attempt the dangerous, like driving a vehicle or jumping off cliffs into shallow water, crazy things that they would never even dream of doing if they were sober. Why? Because they are drunk. Drunk people do crazy things!

In Ephesians 5:18, the Apostle Paul gives this instruction to Christians: “Do not get drunk with wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit” (NIV).

This word “debauchery” means to be so influenced by the effects of alcohol that one loses all inhibition, so that they do things of negative and evil consequence that they would not do if they were sober. In other words, debauchery is doing crazy things that you are really ashamed of the next morning.

Being filled with the Spirit, on the other hand, causes one to do crazy things, but the difference is that those things are things that you are proud of the next morning. Interestingly, the phrase, “be filled”, is not a one time event. In the Greek, this is a present tense verb, which has a continual sense associated with the action. So, more accurately, Paul is instructing the Church to “be continually filled with the Spirit”; to drink everyday, the “new wine” of the Spirit. Why? Because drunk people do crazy things!

On the Day of Pentecost, in Acts chapter 2, the Church was filled with the Holy Spirit. In verse 13, the crowd made fun of them and said “they have had too much wine”. Peter’s response to this accusation is found in verse 15: “These men are not drunk as you suppose…”. Notice, he does not deny the fact that they are drunk, or at the least, acting drunk. He simply lets them know that they are not drunk in the way that they think that they are drunk. The source of their drunkenness is not due to the wine of the world, but rather the new wine of the Holy Spirit. He explains all of this in verse 17, as he outlines the fulfilled prophetic promise of Joel that God would pour out His Spirit on all people.

Notice that Peter got out of the box, crazy, as he found the courage to stand up to address the crowd of onlookers. This is the same Peter that denied the Lord three times! And now he has unabashed boldness to preach the Gospel to the same angry crowd that had earlier crucified Jesus. The only thing that can explain this uninhibited behavior is the fact that he was drunk. Drunk people do crazy things. And I’m sure he was very proud of his actions the next morning, especially when he realized that 3,000 people had been saved as a result of his boldness under the influence of the Spirit!

Jesus has commanded us to do crazy things like heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, and cast out demons; to preach the message of the Kingdom (Matt. 10:7,8). He has commanded us to be His witnesses in the whole earth as his ambassadors (Acts 1:8; 2 Cor. 5:20). He told Ananias, through a supernatural vision, to go to Saul’s house on Straight Street and lay hands on him to receive his sight, which was a crazy proposal given the fact that Saul was arresting Christians and giving approval for their executions (Acts 9).

I used to never pray for the sick. Not because I didn’t believe in healing. I taught on healing. I just didn’t believe that I had what it took to pray for people for them to be healed. I used the excuse that I just didn’t have the “gift”. Interestingly, after learning to let the Holy Spirit influence my mind, I began to live under the influence (LUI), I began to do things that I would ordinarily never try like praying for someone to be healed. Amazingly, people started getting healed. I started to drink and drive, and when I would get to my destination, I would find supernatural boldness to step out and take crazy amounts of risk to pray for the sick at supermarkets, airports, or at family gatherings. And guess what? People started getting healed.

I have found that most people have a hard time stepping out in risk in the Kingdom because they are too intimidated by what others will think. I want to suggest that you try getting absolutely drunk on the Spirit of God until you have no inhibitions left, and just see what kind of great “crazy” things God can do through your life. Remember, drunk people do crazy things!

Comments:

1. Henry Griner says:

This is a great article Kevin. I’m looking forward, along with my wife Leslie and our entire leadership team at Living Waters Church in Elk River, to getting really filled and really drunk in the Spirit and see what God can do with/through a bunch of crazy folks in the heart of Minnesota.

I hope you don’t mind if I quote you and link this to our church website.

Henry Griner

2. Amit says:

Hi Kevin,
    I have been reading Bill Johnson’ book ‘When Heaven Invades Earth’ & my housemate ‘The Ultimate Treasure Hunt’. I wanted to ask, how do u get drunk in the Spirit; is it by praying in tongues.

I’ve been reading over the weekend and the WHOLE weekend i’ve been getting churning in my stomach – i approaced one guy and prayed for his back – was VERY nervous – approaced another guy who was Japanese – couldn’t speak much english and said no. After that i feel a bit nervous.

I keep thinking – am i ready? Will God definitely show up but in my heart there is a strong witness that Daddy God would definitely be there just like a Father is always there to watch his son at a sport event. The father always encourages the child; but i still feel a bit nervous.

Anyway, thanks heaps for ur ministry and your book, and Bill Johnson’s book,and Jesus culture treasure hunt tetimonies are a great encouragement.

3. sam says:

Hi Kevin,

I was wondering about the same thing as Amit in the comment above. The “how” of getting drunk. Do we just sit and wait or soak? Thanks! =D

Btw, you’re books are awesome! Blessings!

sam

4. benprice says:

Hey Sam that is a great question. First thing to realize about drinking is that you have the Holy Spirit inside of you like a river! What I do is just sit there and say Holy Spirit come move on my body I want to feel you and experience you. Pretty soon you will begin to feel His presence then just keep drinking it in!!

5. Ericka Eubanks says:

I’ve asked God for the baptizism of the Holy Spirit, I’ve prayed for it, and I practically beg God every day for Him, I cry daily for Him, I’ve read so many books on how to receive the baptism, I’ve listened to many person’s experiences, I’ve been prayed over, I’ve had hands laid on me to receive, I’ve even went on u-tube and watched videos on how to receive. I expect it daily to rise up inside of me, but He doesn’t come. What is it that I am doing wrong? I need this baptism of the Holy Spirit desperately in my prayer life-in my home. I feel like I’m the only one having a hard time receiving Him, and I can’t figure out why when I want Him so, so much. Please help.

6. Jane says:

Thank you for that, benprice. I’m new to this too, and have been wondering the same thing.

Also, are there any mentors or schools/classes in the Dallas, TX area?

7. Traci says:

It would take far too long to write out the things I see wrong with this article. It starts out fine but the spiritual application is faulty at best. This is not an accurate dividing of the Word. Read the scripture references in context and it’s plain to see. I hope the people that read this will truly seek the Lord for true discernment about what this man teaches. I’ve seen/heard him speak. While the power of God did show up, it wasn’t because of anything this man said or did. God will not be mocked. Listen to the words this man uses and even more than that, it’s what he doesn’t say that is concerning. Read the Word and know it more than you know the teachings/doctrines of ANY ‘man’. Even me.
    For the record, I am a firm believer that spiritual gifts are for today and that God moves in miraculous ways. He has healed me emotionally, spiritually and even physically. The Lord has used me in many of the gifts that are laid out in Corinthians and I humbly submit all those things to Him so He may receive all the glory. It’s His power, not mine.

8. Robert Alleger says:

Wow. Drink and Drive while LUI – so that’s DUI right??? I like the concept. So, I’m assuming that’s allowing the Holy spirit to tell you where to go??

I think I mentally second guess myself to much that I block the move of God. So, I’m trying to get out of my head and let it all naturally happen.

I love your book Kevin. God is moving! and it’s SO easy to be in the flow.

9. Travis S. says:

I just saw Kevin D. speak this past week in Houston. I am a seminary student, have been in church leadership in traditional conservative churches for years, so Im a fan of sound theology, basing beliefs on Scripture, ect. There is one undeniable thing about Kevin and his ministry, he loves the Gospel of Jesus, the whole Gospel and he is living it out. Most Christians don’t see the Gospel lived out, ever, so when they do see it face to face, they’re scared, because they question why they haven’t been apart of this their whole lives! If you are weary in your theology and do not have a close relationship with the Lord, then yes, you will be timid about being consumed by the Holy Spirit because you don’t know Him well.

So get to know Him well! If God is good, and you believe that, then you will have no problem asking God to consume you with His intoxicating presence. Come on Church!!

Trust that God is good!!!